Saturday, July 5, 2014

Transformable Wars City Terrain




So, I've been thinking about tabletop terrain for modern / near future scenarios, with transforming vehicles and giant robots. I have the perfect thing!

Back in August of 2012, I collected a set of 3D CNC (wood routed) terrain boards. Each is about a 9" / 23cm in size I think? Anyway, they are a beat-up city terrain set. I've only painted a couple up so far, and haven't had them out in a while now. I think I'll work on completing the rest of the set, but the photos above show the tiles I've completed so far. They're 3D - all the gaps in the concrete are physical engravings, and the craters are actual holes with rubble flocking glued around them.

It would be neat to cover the whole table in this sort of terrain, with streets and areas for scenery pieces. I can't remember, but I think I've got tiles to do my whole 5 by 4 foot table, I just have to flock and paint them.

They're from this site:
http://www.miniaturescenery.com/CategoryPage.asp?Code=CAT_BGND

Though looking up the site again now, I see that it will soon be discontinued as they are making something new.

Have a browse of their facebook page, and there's all sorts of buildings and vehicles coming out using laser-cutting technology or something, so that all looks interesting. That stuff, I think, is in a larger scale (30mm or 35mm or something) than the scale I'm going to be gaming in though.
https://www.facebook.com/miniaturescenery

Anyhow, I worked out that I'm working in Scout Class / Legends Class / Energon Class, I think, where Transformers scaling is concerned. That's robots that stand between 3.5" and 4.5" in height. I'm going all the way up to 4.5" in height, because I want to include the Power Core Combiners (repainted!) when playing miniatures games with transformable toys.

Anyhow, from what I can see, it looks like it amounts to 20mm or 25mm scale humans. The 3 or so inch vehicles are more like 20mm, and the 4.5" are more like 25mm figures, I think. I only have fantasy figures in that range, so here's some fantasy figures beside vehicles to see how it might look scale-wise.

Note: the ambulance is the only painted figure so far. The others are unpainted.



No comments:

Post a Comment